Monday, September 12, 2011

Leaving

So today's the day. The day that I leave Dallas.
My Dad is going to give me a ride out to Greenville, TX, and from there I'm riding to Cooper Lake State Park where I'll camp under the full moon by the lake.
What's the Plan from there?
Why do you expect me to have a plan? The point of this trip is to not have a plan.
Okay, you caught me, there's a minor plan. I plan to stop at state and national parks as often as possible so that my camping won't get me into trouble. I plan to average around 40 miles a day. I plan to have a good time. I plan to head through Oklahoma, into Arkansas, and up to Missouri. After that, the "plan" ends. From there I'll see how much time I have left, and pick a route. Who knows, I may throw a dart at a map or something.
I just want to go, to keep going, and to not stop until I have to. I want to sleep under the stars, enjoy a simple life, and, at least for the time being, forget about the troubles one meets in cities, under street lamps and the awnings of coffee shops. My lights will be the moon, the stars, and the few lights I bring with me. My awnings will be the close-knit boughs of whatever trees I stop by. My joys will not be derived from television, internet, or the company of good friends. Instead, I will ride, read, and think. I will be alone. It has been a while since I enjoyed true solitude, especially for any length of time. I'm sure I will meet wonderful people on the road with whom I may have wonderful conversations, but the majority of my time will be spent in silence.

I'm ready. I'm kind of scared, but I'm ready to face that fear.

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

- Frank Herbert, Dune

2 comments:

  1. Is it weird that I think as a side project you should do a daily roadkill count? Day one: 2 skunks and 1 raccoon. Nah... its only weird if you poke the roadkill with a stick.

    Have fun in your travels I will be reading your posts often so keep them up to date!

    ~Geoff McConnell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Cooper Lake is awesome! I went to school out there at Commerce, it would be pretty neat to bike around there. I think this is pretty neat and I'm going to start following your blog!

    -Kaycie

    ReplyDelete