Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Beginnings

Alright, here's the deal: over the next two months I will be travelling by bicycle around the United States. That's the short version.

The seeds for this idea were planted when I was still a student at Texas State University in San Marcos, Texas. While living in town I began riding my bike everywhere, and I do mean everywhere. It got to the point that some of my close friends didn't even know I owned a vehicle. Then one of my cycling friends began preparing for a cross-country trip of his own, and I was fascinated by the idea. I have always loved travelling, and had done so with my parents as a child. The problem with travelling on a college-student budget is that there is no extra money once you account for rent, food, tuition, books, and beer. But I saw my friend preparing for a trip on a bicycle, and saw how little he was spending to get ready, and I thought, "I can do that!"

After a few conversations with him about his dreams, and how he planned to accomplish them, my mind was made up. This was somewhere around early March, 2011. I had already planned to ask my parents for the funds to purchase a new bicycle for my birthday in early April, but I had been looking at a "go-fast" bike to zip around town on. My plan quickly changed and I began researching touring bikes. I scoured the Internet for information on what to buy, and why. I searched galleries of pictures of bicycles loaded up for touring. I started thinking about where I would want to go, what I wanted to see, what the logistics of getting there were. I dreamed of travelling and being in the great outdoors, alone, with time to think.

Then I realized just how expensive this venture was going to be, and what I needed to do to afford it. I began to sell things. Everything. I sold two TVs, instruments, toys, clothing, speakers, video game systems. Everything. Finally, I had enough for my bike. Just my bike, mind you, I still had to purchase all the gear I would need on the road. I was a boy scout as a youth, and though I had some camping gear, it was all cheap, outdated, and often worn out or mildewed from storage from years of lethargy. I needed more money. So I sold more. And more. And I still haven't sold everything I've been trying to get rid of the last few months, yet by saving and budgeting, I've managed now to purchase nearly everything I need for a trip into the wilderness.

In the meantime, I continued my education, and eventually completed it, and graduated mid-August. Now I'm in Dallas where I plan to leave from, but, as usual, I don't have all my ducks in a row. There are still a few vital things I need for my trip, yet I plan to leave in a few days. Actually, I planned to leave today, but I still had things to do before heading off. So, my departure has been delayed. Not long, mind you, but I itch to leave this rotten city full of cars. I miss San Marcos and the cycling community there, not to mention my amazing friends, yet I know it is time for me to carry on before I allow myself to stagnate in that beautiful little river town.

Still, I sleep fitfully. Unlike a child on Christmas Eve, awaiting gifts from Santa, my sleep is filled with apprehension. I am somewhat unwilling to leave behind my quiet, comfortable life, surrounded by friends. Yet, I know this is something I must do.

Before she left on a business trip this week, my mother left a little plate on my bike, which I did not notice until yesterday. It has a picture of a bicycle stamped into it, and the words, "Life is either a great adventure, or nothing." -Helen Keller

It's time to leave. It's time to travel. It's time for the great adventure to begin.

2 comments: