Thursday, October 13, 2011

Just passing through

Day 28

54.59 miles @ an average of 11.1mph, 35.7 max
Total ride time of 4:52'46

So I ended my last post saying I was going to caverns on this day. Nope. I found out that the caverns I wanted to go to were included in a larger park, the entrance fee to which was $50+ and I was not about to pay that sort of money to see some caves. Caves are cool, and all that, but I just wasn't up to paying that much to see them. So, I headed east out of Branson towards Mammoth Springs. Along the way I stopped in The Smothered Mutt, a place that specialized in hot dogs, but had some delicious fried mushrooms, which I devoured. I chatted with the owners for quite a while and promised to like them on Facebook, which I have. While I was there the told me about a couple who had stopped through who were biking from coast to coast. They had a short write-up from their (the bikers') home town paper displayed below the counter. It kind of made me wish I had a riding partner, if only so that I might have someone to talk to on a regular basis, and so that the majority of my conversations weren't limited to "So where are you from? Dallas? You rode that bike all the way from Dallas? Well, have a good day, ride safe."
I rode on from there and, once I reached my supposed destination, I found that it was not my destination. Google had steered me wrong once again. The campsite was marked about four miles from where it actually is, and so I turned around and headed back towards my home for the night. On the way a motorcyclist slowed down and chatted with me for a few minutes while we rode, and we talked about bikes. Turns out he has the same mountain bike I have back home. I would have liked to continue our conversation, but we were holding up traffic, so he took off, and after another two miles I found the campsite I had been looking for.
The campsite, it turned out, was crap. Privately owned, open for all to see with no trees to speak of, no running water, no working electricity, and locked bathrooms. I hate campsites like that. I hung my hammock between two poles holding up the roof over a picnic table and lit a roaring fire to warm up by, and set to reading.

Day 29

23.38 miles @ an average of 11.1mph, 39.2 max
Total ride time of 2:05'26

Woke up and ate at the on-site diner, not because I really wanted to pay money for food, but more because I really needed to use their restroom, and, as I stated above, the campsite ones were locked tight. After breakfast I packed up, pretty slowly, and headed out on what turned out to be a mostly-uphill adventure. I really need to find a WallyWorld to restock on some much-needed supplies, such as fuel. Unfortunately, the closest one to me at this point is in Thayer, north of Mammoth Springs, and still quite a ways away. Along my ride I stopped in Gainsville and chatted with some very nice people, including a former triathlete who had recently had his shoulder replaced.
I found my campsite without difficulty this time (it was just off the highway I was trekking along) and set to work putting up my hammock. While putting up the rain fly I bent one of my stakes to the point that it won't be used again, but that's why I packed four when I only really need two. Still, it makes me want to get out of this rocky terrain so that I don't have to worry about bending stakes as often.
The owners of this campsite, Rocky Top, are incredibly nice. Before one of them drove into town he stopped by my site and asked if I needed anything. I told him no, though I should have asked about fuel, as I was almost out. Still, it's a great campsite with working water and electricity, a disc golf course, and a pool table in the office. I didn't use either of the latter, as I was too busy setting up camp and getting a good fire going, and once both were done, the owner was locking up the office and going to bed. Still, I would recommend this site to anyone who plans on camping for a few days, it's really nice.
Anyway, for the past few days I had been in touch with my friend Jamie, who has been working in Wyoming for the last few months, and said she wanted to camp with me a night, about which I was very excited. She had called me in the morning before I left my previous site and told me she was stopping through Branson to pick up a friend and that she would call me afterward to find out where I was. Unfortunately, she never called back, and I spent the night alone with my new mantis friend, who stuck around my site until I went to bed.

Day 30

39.06 miles @ an average of 12.7mph, 32.4 max
Total ride time of 3:04'31
Additional 5 miles walking on dirt roads I couldn't ride on (not included in average speed)

Another day, another late start. Woke up late and packed slowly, so that I ended up leaving my site around 1PM. Went into Tecumseh, the town nearby to the campsite and tried to buy some fuel. Unfortunately, the only fuel they had was a gallon tank, which I have no need of, and have no ability to carry on my bike. I bought it anyway, and borrowed a sharpie with which I wrote "free" on the tank after I filled my own fuel bottle, and left the tank outside the gas station at which I purchased it. Next I made a wrong turn. Rather, I went straight when I should have turned, and I didn't notice the mistake until a couple miles down the road. Not wanting to turn back, I continued on, feeling that, if nothing else, I could cut back to the road I wanted to be on at another point, though it did end up adding some miles to my trek, and kept me from getting to Mammoth Springs this day. Still, this is why you don't plan ahead too much on these types of trips. Anyway, I continued on, and somehow managed to skirt the rain that had been forecast for the day. The last 11 miles were foggy and wet, but beautiful.
Once again I followed Google instinctively, and passed up my intended campsite by about 1.5 miles while walking, and had to turn back. This was a completely primitive campsite buried deep in the woods along rough dirt roads. It was beautiful, but I kept hearing animals in the woods around me, and I was grateful I had built such a big fire to keep me warm, as it also helped keep predators away. Throughout the night I heard growls and shuffles, and often heard coyotes howling within a few miles of me. To say the least, I stayed up quite late, and only went to bed when the rain began. The rain continued, as far as I can tell, all night long, and I woke up with my hammock sagging from the moisture.

Day 31

20.10 miles @ an average of 11.4mph, 32.4 max
Total ride time of 1:45'07

Woke up late after a long, restless sleep, packed up camp, and walked the 2 miles back to the highway. The rain had turned the roads to mud, and the walk had me wet and filthy before I even began my ride. To say the least, I was cold, wet, and miserable all day. When I had my jacket on, I was too warm, when off, too cold. The only good thing about the ride was that I only saw 10 cars going my way the whole ride, which means about one for every two miles. I don't know if it was just the weather, or if I realized I've been away from home for a whole month, but I miss my friends and my cats. Still, I was glad when I got to Mammoth Springs that I could find a hotel and be warm and dry for the night. There I lazed about and did practically nothing but read, watch TV, and order a pizza.
Honestly, almost nothing happened on this day except me feeling exceptionally down.
Oh yeah, and my headphones stopped working. Rather, they work, but they continually pause/unpause my iPod to the point that it is nearly impossible to listen to anything. Going to have to purchase more tomorrow, along with more batteries, and some other minor supplies. Damn, I have the worst luck with headphones. They never last me more than two or three months.

Might as well talk about today, day 32, while I'm posting... It won't take long, it's been boring.
Here goes: did laundry, bought some groceries, bought batteries and new headphones. Now sitting at McDonalds (for free wi-fi, not buying anything, I promise) and writing this blog. Going to camp at the state park outside the springs if I can, and take another day's rest. Tomorrow I will be trying my best to get to flat land, and then finding a campsite. Day after, haul ass toward Memphis. Wish me luck. (Told you it wouldn't take long.)

2 comments:

  1. I wish you much luck! I am thoroughly enjoying reading about your experience. Your honest chronicling!!! I think you are amazing!! Al that time to yourself must be awesome and complete insanity!!! We miss you on San Marvelous! We have finally had some rain but we are still twenty inches below average. You're missing some cash at the redirected showdown pool tournaments. Mason won one. My daughter is becoming even more of a jewel and I will have my 35th birthday soon! I can't believe it!! Feeling lots of love. Namaste. -Carley

    ReplyDelete